Monday, February 25, 2008

Bosses, Asses and the Packets !!!

"Against stupidity the Gods themselves contend in vain...."


A call from an old friend who still happens to be in Advertising...

hey dude...hows life??

well I am doing well.. I am no longer in advertising you see... I reply with sarcasm
hey ^%$^&*%$ ... cribs he.... times have changed man... its no longer the place which you left.. its more seasoned.. more professional and ,...

Aha... is it the end of advertising as I knew it..? I laugh....

And man... he says... we are on the look out for talents ( some people have left the team ,obviously)... and growth is ensured ( for whom is the question but I didnt ask)..

mmm... I meekly acknowledge,thinking as to how strikingly similiar was the lingua that people used when they were in dare straits when executives left all of a sudden, leaving the clients and the agency alike, in distress.

And as you know we are growing... new clients, new categories of business and new media types.. we are for ever on the look out for new people who can handle the pressures of todays advertising....

Wah wah wah ..I thought and applauded my beloved industry for the wake up call that they seem to have given for themselves...

Like for example... I enquired....

Ohhh ...digital for example... below the line ..OOH... it is all new man... exciting to be part of the change and sooner we adapt the better we adopt to the changing needs...waxed the caller eloquently...and I will tell you there is a huge huge dearth of quality people....

Oh ...I pretended ignorance... is it?

Yah man... You will not beleive the last one week I met some 21 guys and gals in my office for the Business development and client servicing executive category... and you know what... I didnt get even a single guy...

Oh that is SADDDD.... I cried into the receiver....and....

And what... here I am asking people to refer me some one.. some one good ..a couple of them I need.. smart, sensible and communicative guys...

Hey Biplob ..I woke him up from the mutter.... can I ask u one thing..?

Yes man go on...

How many guys you met you said?

21 or may be 22.. I am not sure...

I have a cousin of mine.. he is all what you want... smart.. sensible and linguistic....and has an advertising back ground....

Oh ask him to mail me his CV man... says Biplob....

Oh but what will you pay? I ask a seemingly innocent question for which I knew the answer , almost....

Well it depends.. and waise bhi.. money is not the only thing man ... You know that... its the job culture that matters...

hey man .. wait wait.. I interrupt.... tell me a direct answer... he is a smart sensible MBA grad with good comunication skills... Has put in one year at AWBT agency and now is with a call center at Chennai..good in computers, pro active and hard working,,,,,. Now you tell me how much can he expect....?

Well .......Biplob, the Bengali Acounts director, who they said was Kanjoos Number 1, mulled for a long minute and mused on..... first I have to see him.. and then may be..you know....I honestly beleive that money is secondary ..what comes first is... you know....

hahahahaha ...I laugh like a filmi villain which I am sure did get on to his nerves... Now you know why you have the 'HUGE HUGE dearth of talents"... Dont u Biplob?? every other industry gets the type of talents they want,... that is the reason why MNC's queue up here.. and here is our industry which IS more seasoned.. more professional but alas lurking in the back waters in search of talents.. In fact you guys should be searching for money... There is talent man,,,, U have to pay them to get themmmm...

Well ....said Biplob... we too pay and as they grow they will see phenomenonal rise...

Huh man... I said ... You know what I mean,, I will ask my cousin to mail you his CV if you agree to pay him atleast what the call center does... if else you will forever continue your search,,,, may be you can go to some zoo... for peanuts you will get only monkeys....

I need to think... he said and went off air...

Think he will for sure but will reach at the same conclusion....to handle the pressures of todays advertising industry we need people, but we will not pay...
we need people who will eat passion, drink commitment and live with love for the industry and nothing more, except for the big bosses up the ladder, its all grass and all the asses down are expected to remain happy that way !!

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.... I said to myself...

3 comments:

Brand Nirav said...

Indeed the last blog of sabu sir is absolutely correct about the industry , their people, their inhuman terrorist like exploiting desires and the BIG BENGALI KANJOOS BABUS up the ladder.... Imagine this incident with me which happened recently in REDIFUSION .....
The Big Babu calls me for the interview test my knowledge not only of Advertising Industry but every damn other industry , shocks by the kind of knowledge I a 24 year old guy haves, appreciates it within asks me to join the work with Rs 2000 less than what I am actually getting now...... just because I have the passion and love , seriousness and committment and a MANAGEMENT GRADUATE DEGREE from a premier BUSINESS SCHOOL........JUST SEE THESE PEOPLE HOW THEIR LALA TYPE MENTALITY IS AND HOW HYPOCRIT THEY ARE when they go for pitching to clients they ask clients to spend spend money on their respective BRANDS to make them A BRAND....... they dont know that in order to MAKE their BRAND they need to spend money to on their HR which is the most important CAPITAL.......

Blogeswari said...

Could so relate to this post.. Superb one!

Anonymous said...

With all due respects to the author and the facts listed with satire and sarcasm interspaced, I as a Bengali sincerely hope that this stereotyping could have been avoided. The industry is a poor paymaster and that is true through out the world where no Bengali Kanjooses rule from the roost. Anyways nice post !

Related Posts with Thumbnails